Instructor: Todd Smithline
Length: 1 hour
In the last few years, two U.S. district courts found video game mechanics or “rules” to be protectable by copyright. A more recent district court started down the same path before reversing itself. So, are the rules of a video game now copyrightable?
- What are the Rules of a Video Game?
- The Historical Approach to Protecting Game Rules
- The Arcade Game Cases (Asteroids and Pac-Man)
- Attack of the Mobile Clones: Tetris and Spry Fox
- The DaVinci Case
- Is There Some Other Way to Protect Game Rules?
- Why Might Video Game Rules be Receiving Greater Protection?
- Questions from the Roundtable